Pool of Life would like to welcome our members, supporters and anyone who is curious to attend one of our forthcoming events. Please read our ‘Frequently Asked Questions’ page or contact us if you require any further information.
Regular Training Sessions: 3 levels of Paddling Activity…
1) Pink Paddles: Sunday mornings (once a month, usually 1st Sunday of each month)
Every month Pool of Life has a ‘pink paddle’ outing for members who want a gentler session or for new members who want to come along and have a go (typically the first Sunday in the month). We normally have a tour of the docks, whilst undertaking technical training on our paddle stroke. Meet at the watersports centre at 9.30am to help get our boat, Hope, ready, warm up at 9.45, paddle 10.00-12.00, cool down followed by tea/coffee at the Watersports Centre. Most Pink Paddles take in a visit to Costa in the Albert Dock. Bring along any friends or family members who also wish to try their hand at dragon boating. Feel free to contact us here, on on twitter, to let us know you are coming. See you on the water!
2) Intermediate Paddle sessions:
Thanks to winning a grant application, we are training several of our members in helming and coaching. To give everyone the opportunity to practice and improve their skills, we are running a training session every Thursday evening and Sunday morning. These sessions will run alongside the established Amathus session, and may include a combined training session. These sessions are designed to help all our paddlers to improve their technique, stamina and general fitness
- Thursdays – Be at the centre no later than 6.30pm to warm up, with the expectation to be on the water for 7pm
- Sundays – Warm up begins at 9.30am, to be on the water for 10am
In the first instance, these sessions are intended to last for one hour on the water, with all paddlers expected to take turns to get our boat ready beforehand and put her away after the session.
3) Advanced Paddle Sessions: Sunday 10-12, Tues 7-9pm, Thurs 7-9pm
For those who wish to get involved with UK league or international racing, Amathus DBC run intensive paddle sessions which focus on the technical stroke, develop sprint ability, build stamina, provide race practice and insight into race strategies. These sessions also allow paddlers to try different positions in the boat, to find your paddling strengths. They are run on Tuesday & Thursday evenings at 7pm and on Sunday mornings at 10am. Arrive at least 30 mins before the session start time.
Florence focused training sessions: Sundays 12.15-1.15pm
In preparation for our trip to Florence, every Sunday in March and April has been earmarked as specific training sessions. These precious hours will give our helms lots of practice in keeping the line straight, paddlers an opportunity to try different seating positions and our enable our coach to push us to improve with every session. As always, anyone is free to join these sessions, but be aware that some sessions could prove very strenuous. After all the fundraising efforts of the past 12 months, our success at Florence will come down to the hard work we will all put in to getting fit to race.
Social & PoL Paddle Events:
Pool of Life offer social events (paddling and non-paddling events), in addition to our training sessions. Ideas for social events are always welcome. Events for the next few months include….
- 2-4 February 2018: Barlings Barn weekend. Members of PoL are returning to Barlings Barn, Wales, for another weekend of relaxation, walks, good food and good company. This type of activity is a regular event for the group, and allows people to get to know each other better, have fun and take a few days away from the normal stresses and strains of real life
- 11 February 2018: Pink Paddle. The paddle was due to take place on the first Sunday of the month but the trip to Barlings was planned instead. We would like to welcome everyone to join us at the rearranged day, with the normal time of 9.30am for warm up, 10am on the water
- 17-23 March 2018: Sports Relief. In conjunction with Sainsbury’s East Prescot Road, we will be raising funds for this worthy cause
- 3-8 July 2018: 5th international IBCPC participatory festival in Florence, Italy. We will be fund-raising hard to send our members to this event. Visit the event website here for more details.