Pool of Life would like to welcome our members, supporters and anyone who is curious to attend one of our forthcoming events. Please read our ‘Frequently Asked Questions’ page or contact us if you require any further information.
Regular Training Sessions: 3 levels of Paddling Activity…
1) Pink Paddles: Sunday mornings (once a month, usually 1st Sunday of each month)
Every month Pool of Life has a ‘pink paddle’ outing for members who want a gentler session or for new members who want to come along and have a go (typically the first Sunday in the month). We normally have a tour of the docks, whilst undertaking technical training on our paddle stroke. Meet at the watersports centre at 9.30am (warm up at 9.45, paddle 10-11, cool down followed by tea/coffee and cakes till 12-12.30. Sometimes we call at Costa Coffee in Albert Dock for a drink during the session). Bring along any friends or family members who also wish to try their hand at dragon boating. Please call 07787 259506 (Christine Beckwith) to let us know you are coming. See you on the water!
Forthcoming ‘pink paddle’ dates are:
- 2nd April 2017, 10am start (arrive by 9.30am)
- 7th May 2017, 10 am start (arrive by 9.30am)
2) Intermediate Paddle sessions:
We have started a programme of ‘intermediate’ paddle sessions for those members who wish to develop their technical stroke and increase the level of paddling intensity. These sessions will go ahead on Sundays but the dates are variable, so keep an eye on this page – or ask us to add you to our email list so you will be informed of forthcoming dates. Arrive 30 mins before sessions are due to start – dates for next sessions are:
- 16th April, 12.30 start (arrive 30 mins before)
- 23rd April, 12.30 start (arrive 30 mins before)
3) Advanced Paddle Sessions: Sunday 10-12, Tues 7-9pm, Thurs 7-9pm
For those who wish to get involved with UK league or international racing, Amathus DBC run intensive paddle sessions which focus on the technical stroke, develop sprint ability, build stamina, provide race practice and insight into race strategies. These sessions also allow paddlers to try different positions in the boat, to find your paddling strengths. They are run on Tuesday & Thursday evenings at 7pm and on Sunday mornings at 10am. Arrive at least 30 mins before the session start time.
Social & PoL Paddle Events:
Pool of Life offer social events (paddling and non-paddling events), in addition to our training sessions. Ideas for social events are always welcome. Events for the next few months include….
- 1st May 2017: Dragons & Flowers charity dragon boat festival, Liverpool. Visit our D&F page here for details
- 20th August 2017: Donegal Dragon Boat Regatta (we are going for the weekend to make the most of the trip)
- 9/10 September 2017: Some of our members are racing with Amathus Ladies’ team at the Dublin Dragon Boat Regatta
- Summer 2017: Various fund-raising events to support our trip to the IBCPC festival (see below).
- 3-8 July 2018: 5th international IBCPC participatory festival in Florence, Italy. We will be fund-raising hard to send our members to this event. Visit the event website here for more details.